Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A bit "Cheesy" but very Poetic and Visual.......



Video: "IF you could read my mind love, by Gordon Lightfoot.
Okay this is cheesy I know. But you have GOT to listen to it all.

Yesterday before meeting my friend for lunch...I was going to my bank on Highland Road....I was turning off of Airline and I was changing my radio station at the same time....not dangerously though because it is on my steering wheel.....don't you love that gadgety stuff??

In the process of making my turn and changing the seek button thingy.

I still messed up the station I was trying to get to and I landed on some other station. I left it for safety's sake because my turn into the bank was right there so rather than mess with it some more and miss my turn and have a wreck and so on and so forth....I just let song that was currently playing continue to play...and I was mesmorized by it.

That old song had totally caught me up into it. And I have no clue as to why.

It was that song by Gordon Lightfoot called "If you could read my mind love."
Gordon Lightfoot was this singer from Canada. He had some songs out when I was a teenager....this particular one I think came out when I was like 10 years old or there abouts.
I know.....I'm dating myself big time. Oh well.

So I hear this song that day and once I get into the parking lot of the bank....... I just sat for a while in my truck and listened to it because it was so comforting and so poetic and romantic and yet it sort of makes you feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

I liked hearing it for some reason. Cheese and all.

Now I KNOW I am getting old.


His voice was sad and smooth and the words are just cool. The guitar work is just nice too. I can't explain it.

Nothing spiritual really.....in fact he talks about Ghosts.

I don't do ghosts but this was like fake storybook ghosts you know?

He was having deeper thoughts. Like the person he was talking/singing to didn't "see" him...as if he was invisible like a ghost. I get it.

He basically did a really cool, love story and put it in song. I'm loving it.
I liked the simplicity of the words and just a voice with a guitar too.
That was a change.

Here's the deal though......I've never done a "You Tube" video on here, because I am very "limited" on what I know to do. HA! So I tried to seek out a good copy of the song being sung last night and all I could get was this think. And it's not even a video but it's a good recording of the song. With a cheesy album cover in the back ground. Very Groovy 60'ish. You will see it when you get there.

Sadly...in this fact finding process...I found one video of Gordan Lightfoot singing this song recorded live at some benefit concert for "Canada Day"......but AT FIRST I thought it was a JOKE because I couldn't even understand his words hardly.
Poor thing.

I'm serious. He sounded about a hundred and fifty years old and scary.....then I realized....."oh that is just how his voice is now" because he is older I suppose.But what I read somewhere had happened was he had gotten some sort of stomach aneryrism and had even been in a comma, very ill. He's better now I think.


So although he's older than my own parents. I'm sure he's just having problems with the body and voice and his vocal cords are probably fried after all these years of singing and concerts and such.

I also found a video of Johnny Cash singing the same song.....the video is good but again he sounds pretty bad.

My sister Jenny said that her son Kyle used to LOVE to watch the Johnny Cash video because it's got a lot of footage of Cash when he was younger. I didn't watch the whole thing because I felt bad. It didn't sound like him at all.

Back to Gordon Lightfoot. He had a string of hit songs and albums. He was sort of known as a "Folk singer" back then when he was big. Folk stuff was big then. I was not into Folk stuff. Not as a teenager.

Later I remember that Gordon Lightfoot did this "Ballad" type song about the
"Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"......again......not my kind of song but it really did happen so it was educational and historical and I didn't mind hearing it because 29 men did die in that accident during a storm.

It was kind of creepy to sing about I thought.
But it helped memorialize those men that died. To this day they honor them near the actual wreck date with 29 bell tolls ......I heard that on some show on TV once.

The summer before last my sister Jenny's, Brother and Sister in Law took their two younger sons up to the Michigan to the The Great Lakes on a trip because one of the boys was into boats and such and they went to see all the "Edmund Fitzgerald" Memorial things up there. There is a museum and other things.

I thought that was odd at the time like I wouldn't have chose that for my vacation spot....but everyone has different interests in life.

It's good to be open. It's how we learn.

You never know the boy may grow up and a boat captain or something. His Dad is a Jet Pilot.
Interesting.

Check out the lyrics for the "If you could read my mind love" song.

I like the Wishing Well and Castle parts. HA! The song is highly visual and I like visual things! Espcially when I am reading or listening I want to "see it happening." You can see this.


Listen to it as many times as you wish. It may refresh you for some reason.
Who knows.


If You Could Read My Mind, ©1969 by Gordon Lightfoot

If you could read my mind, love,
What a tale my thoughts could tell.
Just like an old time movie,
'Bout a ghost from a wishing well.
In a castle dark or a fortress strong,
With chains upon my feet.
You know that ghost is me.
And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost that you can't see.

If I could read your mind, love,
What a tale your thoughts could tell.
Just like a paperback novel,
The kind the drugstores sell.
Then you reached the part where the heartaches come,
The hero would be me.
But heroes often fail,
And you won't read that book again
Because the ending's just too hard to take!

I'd walk away like a movie star
Who gets burned in a three way script.
Enter number two:
A movie queen to play the scene
Of bringing all the good things out in me.
But for now, love, let's be real;
I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it.
I don't know where we went wrong,
But the feeling's gone
And I just can't get it back.

If you could read my mind, love,
What a tale my thoughts could tell.
Just like an old time movie,
'Bout a ghost from a wishing well.
In a castle dark or a fortress strong.
With chains upon my feet.
But stories always end,
And if you read between the lines,
You'd know that I'm just tryin' to understand
The feelin's that you lack.
I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it.
I don't know where we went wrong,
But the feelin's gone
And I just can't get it back!

No comments: