Thursday, December 20, 2007

"Stille Nacht".....



For some reason I woke up very early (for me that is) this morning....around 5:30am. Igh!
I came in to read the morning news online and turned on what I "thought" was the "XM Christmas Classical music station" that I have my AOL programmed to but instead of calm music coming out of my speakers it was some VERY loud "Rascal Flats" song.......errrrr.....that Luke!! He always does that.

While reading I noticed that alot of the songs that are playing are in German right now. I like that of course. I maynot understand them all though. HA!
A word here or there.

I did understand this one particular song that come on.
It's a classic so who wouldn't really....even in German, plus I could remember the words to the first two lines myself.

You may know it too and maybe want to know some history about it.

The name of it in German is......
"Stille Nacht".....or "Silent Night" which was first sang on Christmas Eve in 1818.
If you have a moment or two.......read on.
Plus check out this site there is going to be a "live webcame performance" from the "Silent Night Chapel" on December 24th.
*****************************************************************************
Silent Night......
The origin of the Christmas carol we know as Silent Night was a poem that was written in 1816 by an Austrian priest called Joseph Mohr. On Christmas Eve in 1818 in the small alpine village called Oberndorf it is reputed that the organ at St. Nicholas Church had broken. Joseph Mohr gave the poem of Silent Night (Stille Nacht) to his friend Franz Xavier Gruber and the melody for Silent Night was composed with this in mind. The music to Silent Night was therefore intended for a guitar and the simple score was finished in time for Midnight Mass. Silent Night is the most famous Christmas carol of all time!

No comments: