Thursday, December 20, 2007

"Nothing but a 'wisp' of fog........

Tonight it is SO foggy out.

We have a travel advisory in fact.

I was doing some reading and pondering tonight.

I was thinking about how much I love "Calendars"....
I know I am a NUTHEAD! But I do.
I'm a freak about Calendars.

I love to buy Calendars for myself and for others as gifts.

I gave my friend Nora this really funny....."Nuns Having Fun" Calendar one year. I loved it. She did too. HA! We saw the "new" one for 2008 the other day but we didn't get it for either one if us....we just looked at the photos and laughed.

When the new year rolls around I have to have the "right" Calendars in my house. One for the kitchen....always something that is by an artist that does those "Folksy/American/Country type ones".....

That tradition started when we had some friends from Canada named Beth and Blaine, that were living here for a few years. One Christmas they had a special dinner and invited us and a few other couples over and as a gift they gave us all one of these type of Calendars.
I was THRILLED to say the least.

It was such a great gift, the entire dinner and the calendar was just a bonus.
Their friendship was the REAL gift that day.

They have since moved back to Canada and we still keep in touch with them to this day.

I have to get one of those Calendars for 2008 for my kitchen yet. I just haven't been "on it."
The day I found them I couldn't decide which stype to buy so I ended up only buying the new "office calendar" instead.
So I have to get one soon or they will all be gone!

Next....our office. Okay.....well the past few years.....two or three that is
I've gotten a "Susan Branch" Calendar for the office.
I LOVEEEE her stuff. She is such a cool artist.
She does all kinds of cute little quotes and special handwriting and cute illustrations.

Besides......she lives on "Martha's Vineyard" and that is someplace I've always wanted to go so.....hey why not just get her Calendar in the mean time and dream a bit right????

I'm always "travel dreaming" anyway.

Which leads me to our final Calendar and a very important one. I mean they are ALL important in this house but this one.......is important in it's own right.

Every year since I can't even remember when.....we've had a Calendar from England (and I mean FROM England)in our bathroom.
Well of COURSE!
What else would you expect to adorn the walls of the Mahan "loo?"
Well I do have a few "French tiles" and plagues in there too that Gabe purchased for me in Paris.


It's kind of the "Pièce de résistance" of our bathrooms. HA!

You see, a Calendar is NEEEEEDED in our Master Bedroom bathroom.

It's a very important place you know..both the bathroom and the Calendar....
to write dates and times and occasions on.

This tradition of a "Proper British Bathroom Calendar" began years ago as well when a friend was visiting us from England and presented us with a gifts from there including a lovely Calendar from her "county".....since then she's always given me one.

Which I proceeded to hang in my bathroom. No offense intended. It's just that
I have the most excellent spot for it.....right on the wall behind the bathroom door.
Last year she sent me one of various "sites all over England"....which I loved.

I don't think she will be sending me the traditional "Calendar of England" along with some wonderful "Cadbury" treats like she normally does this year though. We haven't stayed in as close of contact this year...somewhat but not the same.
And I just don't want to ring her up and ask her to do that type of thing for me.

Shop for me a new bathroom Calendar of her country......and ship it to me.

I've already inquired with Gabe's girlfriend who is from England to "scour me up" a Calendar from there but I don't think that's happening either.

It's not that I can't find a Calendar of England here in America. But they are different and I don't like them. They don't hang the same.

The dilemma that I have is......the Calendars from England are spiral bound and have these cute little wire hangers bound into them. That way when there is moisture in the bathroom from the shower they don't "warp" on the edges because they hang differently.

The American ones get really curly on the edges because they aren't made the same.

So....I am tad distressed over the bathroom Calandar issue.

Gabe and the girlfriend are going to England in March so I suppose I can hold off until then....if need be.

My good friend Diane was chatting with me recently and told me about how their church had some wonderful Calendars they had gotten from a local Funeral home and would I like one?

I had to decline her on that offer. I told her...."yeah I try to stay away from those, thank you though." HA! She said she "understood."

There really ARE worse things to be distressed over in life aren't there?

If only some of our battles could be this easy.
Bathroom Calendar issues for 2008.
Right. Those are "way up there huh?"

I don't think so. I think that creepy injection I had to take again today is something far worse than my Calendar troubles.

I was reading this passage this evening in the Bible:

"Come now, you who say,
“Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.”
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.

You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.

Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”

But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil. Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.
"Jame 4:13-17


I think in light of many things....especially things in my own personal life....
I'm not going to get too crazy this year if I can't find the PERFECT Calendar for some of these odd spots in my house.

Besides...who knows what tomorrow may bring...hopefully we may get to flip the Calendar from December into January but our days are in God's hands ultimately...are they not according to what James says?

I am good with that.

How about you??

No comments: