Thursday, October 25, 2007

The wild, wild, world of blogging


Blogging is more than just sitting down and typing you know.

I've learned just how complicated it can be to "blog."

There are "rules" and "secret codes" and words that I have never heard of in my life. It's downright baffeling even at times.......all this blog "stuff."

When I first started to do this.....it was only to be in communication with family and friends on a "broader scale" and to of course be able to express myself "creativly" through my writing.

I KNOW I'm no Jane Austin.....but I DO like to write.
And I'm glad to be able to have this outlet especially now since my only other outlet, the Writer's Group that I attended, disbanded.

However I've learned that it's a wild and crazy place sometimes in this blog world.

I've made mistakes. I've done some things wrong. But who knew?
I mean, I didn't or ......I wouldn't have done it.

Say for example....some one writes you a comment.

Do you comment back to them on your page or if they have a blog do you comment to them on theirs?? That's been one of my questions. So I just write back on mine.
Is that politically correct? I haven't a clue.

Sometimes I just follow what I see other fellow bloggers do....I do what they do and it could be wrong. What if they aren't informed either? Then one must be careful because it could get into that "blind leading the blind" thing happening.

Plus where did all this blog madness come from? Who started it all? And how does it all stop. A friend of mine was telling me the other day that she doesn't read blogs anymore because "everyone has one and it's too hard to keep up with them all."
Good point. I can understand how that person feels. I feel that way myself at times.

So how do you choose "which blogs" you will read, say if you are just a
"reader of blogs" and not a blog writer.
OR maybe you ARE a blog writer. And so you read and you blog.

This all gets very time consuming too. For all parties involved. But something compels us to do it anyway doesn't it? Or we wouldn't be doing this.

The other day I was reading two different blogs and I came across the "blog term" called a "Meme" in both of them.
"Well....what in the WORLD is that??" I thought to myself. I had never seen that word used before.
Well only in a couple of instances.

Now this gets confusing because in the South, a "Meme" is a Grandma.
Surely THAT is not what they meant??
Plus, my sister Jenny and I use the word....."Meme's" for "naughty" children.....or little "beasties" if you may.

I don't think that is how these bloggers meant their "Meme" word to be interpreted.

So of course I had to look it up and it's complicated.....sort of.

Let me try to "condense" it for you a bit.
By the way....I grabbed this "insight" from the "Daily Meme".....
I hope that is okay????

By some other definitions memes are viral and propagate around sometimes mutating as they propagate. Someone proposed something along the lines of some blog posts are viral, they write about something they see on one blog and the next person does the same sometimes their interpretation varies slightly changing the story (I cannot find this original reference).

Eventually some people decided they were going to creating weekly questionnaires (memes) and post them every week. Some are monthly, a few are daily and some are always there. Some suggest that you get five other people to do the same meme and they have to get five people (and so on), which sometimes increases their propagation. This probably stunts their mutated growth, having a permanent storage place where people go to find them but many people copy them from the site where they see it and they'll still change a bit.

Personally I liked these sites; sometimes they give me things to write about that I would have never started the topic on my own. So I started collecting them here at The Daily Meme http://thedailymeme.com/.


It goes on and on....and really.."yawn"..it's just WAY too much information for me.

I'm not really into all these things that I may be "missing." I'm thinking that I don't do this for anyone but myself really so do I have to play all these games and such?
This is just an outlet and not much more.
I want it to be that way. I don't want this to get complicated.

I'm not on the "cutting edge" of the blog world and I know that.

I'm just not really "living la vida loca" in terms of blogging I guess, but that really wasn't my purpose in the first place so I'm okay with where I am.

Don't expect too much from me or from this site....I'm just trying to have me some fun along the way on this "blog journey" and that's about it.
I'm not trying to impress anyone with my great writing talents and abilities.
Well, not really.


I will probably make some more mistakes along the way.
Just incase I do.....
Mea Maxima Culpa in advance.

No comments: