Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Friendship


“You don't have a soul.
You ARE a Soul.
You have a body.”


C.S. Lewis
British Scholar and Novelist. 1898-1963
_________________________________

I have been looking forward to this small event since I was invited over a week ago.....even though right at this moment I sort of am tempted to stay in my pajamas all day and lay in bed too.

It's rainy and dreary here today.
Which is fine. I like rainy days too.

That is......IF I can stay in my pajamas all day and read a nice book in a comfy and warm bed and I am not in extreme pain.

Which THANKFULLY, I don't appear to be too bad off today. YEAH!!!

Last week my good friend Diane, asked me to come over to her house for "Tea" and to watch a movie for today. I said "Sure." Not knowing then of course what a crazy weekend and WEEK we would be having.

She checked in with me last night to see if I was "still coming?" And I told her "Yes, I am still coming." All the while thinking to myself as I gave my reply that....."ugh....my plate has been SO FULL THIS WEEK I need to stay home and have a day of rest.

Yet, I know will really be a nice "break" from the drama of the past few days AND whenever I am with her we always have a great time of "fellowship" and "reflection." So I need this time actually.

Diane's house is always such a sweet place of "refuge" from a nasty world, and "My soul needs this especially" right now, because I am a bit drained.

Even though often times any more, my body is achy and I am ever so weary.
I always try to keep in mind "how my body will one day fade away"...but my soul will live on forever.

To "nurture" ones soul is like tending a garden I feel. We will only get out of it what we put INTO it.

I just looked up that C.S. Lewis quote written above. I hadn't counted on finding a nice quote when I started looking for one regarding "the soul" and then I came across this fabulous quote by him and it went perfectly along with what I was trying to say.

I love C.S. Lewis....his writings, and perspectives.
And he was Irish and lived most of his life in England...so anyone who knows me knows that these things are a major "plus" in my book. HA! HA!

This reminds me.....Have you ever seen the movie about his life called.......
"Shadowlands?"

It is a fantastic movie. Very touching.
Anthony Hopkins plays Lewis.

Try to get your hands on it and watch it if you haven't seen it. You'll love it.
I did. In fact, I need to dig my copy out and watch it again very soon.

7 comments:

Angie(quillysilly) said...

Of course you must go and enjoy the tea with your friend! It has been such a horrendous week for your entire family, so this will be a much needed way to unwind. You have such a generous soul and I imagine that right now you are aching for all the parties involved, so you must take this time just for yourself and do something that brings you joy. I enjoyed your post about how your family rallies around each other in times of crisis. I have been blessed with a family much like yours, and they have been my rock in times of chaos. Your Daughter is so beautiful (just like her Momma!) and I am glad to see that she will be able to experience a prom yet!! Take care of yourself this weekend and God will take care of you! Angie

Susie Harris said...

Hope everything is going ok with you and Miss Priss. It's been a while... Hope you have a great time with your tea today. I have those days too where I just want to stay in bed. Once you get dressed and out you will be glad you did! Miss ya, Susie

Denise said...

“You don't have a soul.
You ARE a Soul.
You have a body.”


That is a powerful saying..... I have to keep that somewhere and use it on something...... and I am so glad that you are going to keep your Tea party date..... will do you good............

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

Wonderful quote you found Joyce! It is so very true. I hope you had a lovely time with your friend. Those little breaks can rejuvenate your soul and heart...especially when you share them with someone special :~) Have a wonderful weekend!

Julie said...

Hi, Joyce,

Forgive me for being so lax in commenting and replying to your emails. I plan to remedy this, starting now! (I was taking an unannounced break.)

I was wondering if I may borrow that beautiful painting and quote. I knew the quote and had planned to use it in a collage, but didn't know who write it. C. S. Lewis - of course!!

Some friends are such a restful refuge, and some are maelstroms. I have lovely, restful friends, and I also had neurotic friends who put me through the mixer with their problems. They left me as disheveled as a tornado would.

Notice I said "had". I had to disentangle myself from such friends, who were only concerned with themselves, and embrace the ones who were concerned about me. AND, because they were concerned about me, I automatically cared about them. Friendship must flow both ways.

Joyce, you have shown me such wonderful friendship and I hope I can reciprocate!

Shari said...

I hope that your time of refuge at Diane's was enjoyable and refreshing.

Julie said...

I watched "Shadowlands" years ago. I will have to rent it again. I love that type of movie. Understated, much strain for the accent, educated, etc. etc.

I love that quote and have used it often in collages, etc., but did not know it was from C.S. Lewis. Thank you.