Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Friendship


“You don't have a soul.
You ARE a Soul.
You have a body.”


C.S. Lewis
British Scholar and Novelist. 1898-1963
_________________________________

I have been looking forward to this small event since I was invited over a week ago.....even though right at this moment I sort of am tempted to stay in my pajamas all day and lay in bed too.

It's rainy and dreary here today.
Which is fine. I like rainy days too.

That is......IF I can stay in my pajamas all day and read a nice book in a comfy and warm bed and I am not in extreme pain.

Which THANKFULLY, I don't appear to be too bad off today. YEAH!!!

Last week my good friend Diane, asked me to come over to her house for "Tea" and to watch a movie for today. I said "Sure." Not knowing then of course what a crazy weekend and WEEK we would be having.

She checked in with me last night to see if I was "still coming?" And I told her "Yes, I am still coming." All the while thinking to myself as I gave my reply that....."ugh....my plate has been SO FULL THIS WEEK I need to stay home and have a day of rest.

Yet, I know will really be a nice "break" from the drama of the past few days AND whenever I am with her we always have a great time of "fellowship" and "reflection." So I need this time actually.

Diane's house is always such a sweet place of "refuge" from a nasty world, and "My soul needs this especially" right now, because I am a bit drained.

Even though often times any more, my body is achy and I am ever so weary.
I always try to keep in mind "how my body will one day fade away"...but my soul will live on forever.

To "nurture" ones soul is like tending a garden I feel. We will only get out of it what we put INTO it.

I just looked up that C.S. Lewis quote written above. I hadn't counted on finding a nice quote when I started looking for one regarding "the soul" and then I came across this fabulous quote by him and it went perfectly along with what I was trying to say.

I love C.S. Lewis....his writings, and perspectives.
And he was Irish and lived most of his life in England...so anyone who knows me knows that these things are a major "plus" in my book. HA! HA!

This reminds me.....Have you ever seen the movie about his life called.......
"Shadowlands?"

It is a fantastic movie. Very touching.
Anthony Hopkins plays Lewis.

Try to get your hands on it and watch it if you haven't seen it. You'll love it.
I did. In fact, I need to dig my copy out and watch it again very soon.

7 comments:

Angie(quillysilly) said...

Of course you must go and enjoy the tea with your friend! It has been such a horrendous week for your entire family, so this will be a much needed way to unwind. You have such a generous soul and I imagine that right now you are aching for all the parties involved, so you must take this time just for yourself and do something that brings you joy. I enjoyed your post about how your family rallies around each other in times of crisis. I have been blessed with a family much like yours, and they have been my rock in times of chaos. Your Daughter is so beautiful (just like her Momma!) and I am glad to see that she will be able to experience a prom yet!! Take care of yourself this weekend and God will take care of you! Angie

Anonymous said...

Hope everything is going ok with you and Miss Priss. It's been a while... Hope you have a great time with your tea today. I have those days too where I just want to stay in bed. Once you get dressed and out you will be glad you did! Miss ya, Susie

Denise said...

“You don't have a soul.
You ARE a Soul.
You have a body.”


That is a powerful saying..... I have to keep that somewhere and use it on something...... and I am so glad that you are going to keep your Tea party date..... will do you good............

xx said...

Wonderful quote you found Joyce! It is so very true. I hope you had a lovely time with your friend. Those little breaks can rejuvenate your soul and heart...especially when you share them with someone special :~) Have a wonderful weekend!

Julie said...

Hi, Joyce,

Forgive me for being so lax in commenting and replying to your emails. I plan to remedy this, starting now! (I was taking an unannounced break.)

I was wondering if I may borrow that beautiful painting and quote. I knew the quote and had planned to use it in a collage, but didn't know who write it. C. S. Lewis - of course!!

Some friends are such a restful refuge, and some are maelstroms. I have lovely, restful friends, and I also had neurotic friends who put me through the mixer with their problems. They left me as disheveled as a tornado would.

Notice I said "had". I had to disentangle myself from such friends, who were only concerned with themselves, and embrace the ones who were concerned about me. AND, because they were concerned about me, I automatically cared about them. Friendship must flow both ways.

Joyce, you have shown me such wonderful friendship and I hope I can reciprocate!

Shari said...

I hope that your time of refuge at Diane's was enjoyable and refreshing.

Julie said...

I watched "Shadowlands" years ago. I will have to rent it again. I love that type of movie. Understated, much strain for the accent, educated, etc. etc.

I love that quote and have used it often in collages, etc., but did not know it was from C.S. Lewis. Thank you.